Pages

Monday 4 February 2013

Spicy blackened fish tacos

No, I wasn't just teasing when I said I'd post that recipe.
 
Diet has been a big part of my renewed baby making efforts. In addition to the fact that with cooking I'm doing something I love and find relaxing, it makes me feel like my body is getting the goddess temple treatment it deserves, and as though I'm actually taking some steps, however minuscule, to control this whole process. At the very least, I'm getting the healthiest I possibly can! For me healing has always been about mind, body and spirit, and food is an important part of that.
 
Yesterday's warm temperatures, sunny skies, and sea salty air put me in the mood for these fish tacos for dinner. I've always loved seafood, but while we were living in Portugal last year we really had the chance to incorporate beautiful and fresh fish into much of our diet, and it's a habit I've tried to continue in these less southerly climes. We're fortunate to have a great fish monger nearby, who stocks freshly caught, locally sourced and sustainably fished seafood.
 
This recipe, in addition to being pretty addictive, contains a whole bunch of fertility and general health boosting foods, like avocado, oily fish (if you use the salmon), full fat dairy and tons of veg. No, it's not like we haven't already tried pretty much everything to help us get pregnant, so that a few helpings of salmon and avocado will make any difference. But it certainly can't hurt, and believe me, it sure as hell is more pleasant than progesterone shots! 
 
So as promised, one of my all time favorites.... Enjoy.

 

Spicy Blackened Fish Tacos (adapted from Foodess.com)


 
  • 2 portions of salmon (firm white fish also works)
  • 1 tbsp cajun seasoning (or a combination of smoked paprika, fennel seed, onion powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper) 
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 large whole wheat flour tortillas
  • avocado, cilantro, green onions, and radishes for topping
  • lemon or lime wedges, optional
  • Charred Corn Salsa (recipe below)
  • Cilantro Aioli (recipe below)
1. Heat oil in heavy-bottomed skillet (cast iron works best) over medium high heat until smoking.
2. Meanwhile, mix cajun seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper with the flour in a shallow bowl. Dredge salmon in flour mixture and transfer to hot skillet. Cook until very brown, then flip. Continue cooking till flesh is just opaque. Set aside.
3. Wipe oil from skillet, and throw in tortillas to warm. Arrange the fish, flaked into chunks, Charred Corn Salsa, and desired toppings on one half of a warmed tortilla and drizzle with aioli. Fold in half to serve.

Charred Corn Salsa


  • 1 cup corn kernels
  • 2 roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1/4 cup red onion, diced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • salt, to taste
  • 1. Preheat broiler and put oven rack in highest position. Toss corn, tomatoes, onion and jalapeno with olive oil. Salt to taste.
    2. Transfer corn mixture to a shallow baking pan. Broil until tomatoes are soft and corn is charred, 5-8 minutes.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cilantro Aioli

  • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 tbsp plain yogurt
  • 1 tbsp lime juice (I've also used orange juice with nice results)
  • 2 tbsp cilantro, minced
1. Stir together all ingredients in a small bowl. Adjust lemon juice and add salt to taste.

The end result. Totally yum!

8 comments:

  1. Ok, anything that has Advocado AND salmon in the ingredience I am there like a rat up a drain pipe. If you helps you feel better post Baby bulge, even better. Think Im not quite ready for the pregnancy trying but theres nothing like being properly prepared. Thanks & hope it helps.X Loving the blog.X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet Sally. I'm glad you like the recipe, I highly encourage you to give it a try - if you like avocado and salmon, then you really will love it.

      Delete
  2. This looks delicious. We have also been on a fertility friendly diet. Well, most of the time. Sometimes we just feel sorry for ourselves and need comfort food. Or I start wondering if more avocado or whatever is really going to make a difference. But I keep at it because I have to try everything. And it doesn't hurt to have a healthier diet in general. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the key is, if thinking about it all the time - like, did I get enough avocado, or leafy greens, or whatever - is an extra source of stress, then it's probably not helping. But I think as long as you have fun with it and enjoy, it can't hurt!

      Delete
  3. That looks amazing. I am really bad about cooking fish even though I enjoy it. I need to set myself a task, one fish dish a week or something of that sort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We try to eat fish twice a week, especially now as I'm avoiding red meat and it's nice to get some protein. This one is really easy! Because the fish is cut into small chunks before cooking, it's impossible to mess up, I promise :)

      Delete
  4. That salsa looks AMAZING! We are having tacos for dinner tonight, I think I am going to have to try that!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh now I am going to have to make this for sure! We love fish tacos!

    ReplyDelete

Don't be shy, leave a comment. Your words brighten my day!